Tuesday, October 27, 2009

USA Today Coincidence

In the afternoon of the day the USA Today article was published we had our first rocket attack in almost four months. One rocket hit out out in the desert, one hit a CHU in the civilian housing area, and one was a dud but smashed a generator on impact. I was on the other side of the base when they hit. So after no attacks for four months, they send rockets on the day that USA Today says there is not much to do and the war is over.

On the day of the missile attack, several mechanics were returning to their living area and saw the dud missile as it was streaking down. They saw the impact and saw the missile was a dud.

In an attack, the first thing every soldier should do is hit the dirt. One of the dumbest soldiers I have ever known decided that hitting the dirt was not necessary for him. So instead of taking cover, he trotted over to the missile with is camera to get a picture. A sergeant from headquarters saw the stupid soldier and ordered him into a shelter.

I have worked with this guy and am quite confident he will do something like this again. He is the sort of person who is intent on proving he is as smart as everyone else, which leads him to do more dumb things. We will all be lucky if, in the course of doing something inane, he does not get anyone else hurt.

Since Army humor is coarse at best, it did not surprise me that the comments about the soldier climbing on the generator were unsympathetic--most were along the lines of "Well I guess it would be bad if he got blown up, but it would serve his dumb ass right."

7 comments:

  1. Totally understand the urge to capture the shot. Would this dumbest soldier also happen to be a PR pro?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doris--Thanks.
    Meredith--Thanks for saying that. I don't know if it is a compliment or not, but when the rockets are coming in, I did not think as a PR pro would but as a sergeant. I don't want soldiers risking their lives that way and until you mentioned it, I never thought about the shot. I had another sergeant vs. office worker moment today about weapons security--I am still l struggling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just unofficially joined the ranks of photojournalists everywhere, who rush into difficult and often dangerous situations for that one-in-a-million shot, only to see in hindsight that it might have been prudent to wait. Glad you obeyed the orders to get to the shelter, but don't beat yourself up too much for the impulsiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neil
    Maybe your stupid soldier has watched too many American war movies, in which this kind of behaviour is often rewarded by a happy ending (the hero as a lonesome daredevil).
    I'm glad you thought safety and obedience first ;-).
    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a moron...and I am speaking out because I know who it was and I also agree that this person would do something like this again...and to think that person has been deployed before and knows everything..geez...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're OK Neil. I'm still watching your blog daily. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete

Not So Supreme: A Conference about the Constitution, the Courts and Justice

Hannah Arendt At the end of the first week in March, I went to a conference at Bard College titled: Between Power and Authority: Arendt on t...