Thursday, June 2, 2022

Le grec ancien facile par Marie-Dominique Poree: Book 19 of 2022


For more than a year, I have read this little book a page or two at a time.  It is a review of Ancient Greek grammar for Francophone students.  Each page I read had me looking up a dozen words in French.  The Greek was easier because every grammar in every language uses common words with regular declensions as examples.   

So it was easy to puzzle out the noun being declined or the verb being conjugated.  

I occasionally read books like this because if I read a French Grammar or an Ancient Greek Grammar written in English, I would be thinking in English.  Reading about Greek in French keeps me from reverting to English meanings.  I can look at French in terms of Greek and vice versa.  

Is this method effective?  I don't know.  But it presents me with linguistic puzzles I would not see any other way.  

First eighteen books of 2022:

The Netanyahus by Joshua Cohen

Perelandra by C.S. Lewis

The Federalist Papers by Alexander Hamilton, James Madison and John Jay

First Principles by Thomas Ricks

Political Tribes by Amy Chua 

Book of Mercy by Leonard Cohen

A Brief History of Earth: Four Billion Years in Eight Chapters by Andrew Knoll

Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall

Understanding Beliefs by Nils Nilsson

1776 by David McCullough


The Life of the Mind
 by Hannah Arendt

Civilization: The West and the Rest by Niall Ferguson

How to Fight Anti-Semitism by Bari Weiss

Unflattening by Nick Sousanis

Marie Curie  by Agnieszka Biskup (en francais)

The Next Civil War by Stephen Marche

Fritz Haber, Volume 1 by David Vandermeulen


No comments:

Post a Comment

Not So Supreme: A Conference about the Constitution, the Courts and Justice

Hannah Arendt At the end of the first week in March, I went to a conference at Bard College titled: Between Power and Authority: Arendt on t...