Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Fun with Five Euro Notes

 


This morning we visited the Terezin concentration camp.  We parked in the designated lot.  When it was time to leave, the automatic parking exit would only accept Czech Koruna--no Euros, no credit card.  

Beside the parking lot was a vendor selling drinks and ice cream.  I asked her about changing Euros.  She looked a little sad. So I said "Zwei eis und kleingeld in koruna." She smiled at that. Probably as much at my bad German as with not having to be a money changer.  I got 45 koruna in change. The parking cost 30 koruna ($1.50) so Cliff and I were on our way with paid parking and ice cream cones.

Late in the afternoon we got burgers in a burger restaurant in Old City Dresden.  The woman who waited on us was a very happy person.  We made a couple of jokes with her.  When we were ready to leave she came to the table and said, "You would like to pay?"  

I said, "We would like to pay. In fact we would love to pay you."  She laughed out loud. I then said I hoped she would be rich and famous, make millions of Euros and become the most successful restaurant owner in the world. She and Cliff were both laughing. American exaggeration sounds very strange in Dresden.  

Cliff asked if my drink was really alcohol free. She said they had put vodka in my drink. 

She gave us the change. I gave her back a five-Euro note and said it was the start of her first million. 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

On Target Meditation

For several years I have been meditating daily.  Briefly. Just for five or ten minutes, but regularly.  I have a friend who meditates for ho...