- If you book with Holiday Inn (same with other hotels I assume), they offer a Government Rate. I have a military ID and that's all they require to give you a better rate and a free breakfast. Part of the Government rate is breakfast.
- When I travel to NYC, Washington and Boston on Amtrak, I get a 10% discount with my ID.
- If I fly in uniform I don't get a different price, but I do get WAY better treatment in the security line.
- Two days ago we met Emarion who may be our next son if all goes well. He is 12 and shy and somewhat nervous about meeting what may be his new family. I could take out pictures of helicopters, machine guns, grenade launchers and talk about flying in the former and firing the latter. Not surprisingly, this ends up being a great ice breaker with a 12-year-old boy.
- When my daughter organized a day at Richmond International Speedway as part of her internship with the local VA Hospital, she could give me an unused ticket because I am a veteran with a combat tour in Iraq.
- And it's fun to occasionally overhear one of my kids saying, My Dad is in the Army."
Monday, October 3, 2011
Benefits of National Guard Service
This morning I was making hotel reservations for New York and Philadelphia and thinking about how many things are cheaper, easier or more fun because I am a Guardsman.
Brooklyn-born Amira Talifi, (not her real name) is a helicopter pilot I served with in the Army National Guard. She is one of seven ch...
On the train to Philadelphia recently, the toilets had water, but the sinks did not in the last two cars. I walked three cars away from m...
The Night Before Basic, Killing Brain and Lung Cells On January 31, 1972, I flew to Texas to begin basic training. On April 2, 2007, te...