Tomorrow I will be driving to Georgetown, Kentucky, with three of my kids on the way to the reunion of the 1st Battalion, 70th Armor. It's the unit I served with in West Germany from 1976-79.
The reunion is in Chattanooga, but we are stopping for dinner tomorrow with Sgt. First Class Pam Bleuel and her family. She also has three college age daughters, so dinner should be fun. Pam extended her tour in Iraq for an additional six months to continue training soldiers in convoy security. Almost as soon as she extended, she started working at a desk--which did not make her happy.
Next month she will return to work as a math teacher in Georgetown, Kentucky. I can't wait to make bad jokes with her again and meet her family.
Veteran of four wars, four enlistments, four branches: Air Force, Army, Army Reserve, Army National Guard. I am both an AF (Air Force) veteran and as Veteran AF (As Fuck)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Rereading Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare
Earlier this year I reread Julius Caesar , probably for the fourth time in forty years. I first encountered the play as an undergraduate, a...
-
When I re-enlisted in the Army in 2007, I saw several soldiers with Μολων Λαβε tattoos and Μολων Λαβε stickers on their pickup trucks. I...
-
Tasks, Conditions and Standards is how we learn to do everything in the Army. If you are assigned to be the machine gunner in a rifle squad...
-
Senatus Populusque Romanus The Senate and People of Rome Some of the soldiers I served with in Iraq talked about getting an SPQR tat...
Your posts are great! I thank you for your service not only once, but twice! I can imagine the re-adjustment doesn't get any easier when you return home.
ReplyDeleteDavid--Thanks. It is strange sometimes moving between the Army and civilian worlds. The reunion is just another dimension of strange.
ReplyDelete