Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Pain, like Envy, is Relative

At the risk of being gross, for the past several days I have had two painful bug bites in my hairline that won't go away--although they are finally getting somewhat better. They are in my hair, above my ear right where the helmet covers them. So every time I ride, they get bumped. And then I got a very painful swelling inside my nose. So it's hard to breath and it hurts.

So I was riding along thinking 'You broke all those bones and now you are bitching about what is essentially three zits. What a baby.'

The trouble really bad pain leads to really good drugs. But you don't take morphine for injuries. So I just get aggravated by the pain and swelling. My head hurts. My nose hurts. My heel hurts because I ran today. These small pains bother me more than I think they should. I suppose that is what is ultimately so difficult about getting old--there is always something wrong with a body that is not growing any more.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Neil,
    I love the slip "bug bikes" - do the bugs wear helmets too? Since their life is shorter than ours, maybe they don't even have the time to complain about getting old...
    Sorry for your head, nose and heel but glad you're not taking morphine (this time)!
    Have a nice day
    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha well maybe your inner 18 year old is coming out---your just trying to identify with the younger guys by having nasty zits, how nice of you!

    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. This may seem too basic, but here's a solution that often works here for severe spider and bug bites. Make a baking soda paste to put on the bites. It will disinfect the skin and relieve the redness. May take 24-48 hrs. Then, dilute 1/4 tsp of baking soda in warm water, wash the inside of the helmet and rinse clean to disinfect. You can get the baking soda , about a tablespoon full all together, from the mess hall (if you've got an in with someone there.) If not, let me know. I'll send a box of Arm & Hammer. Keep peddling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan--Could you send baking soda? That would be great.
    Brigitte--thanks for the proofreading.
    Lisa--I would like my 18 yr old to remain inner!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Not So Supreme: A Conference about the Constitution, the Courts and Justice

Hannah Arendt At the end of the first week in March, I went to a conference at Bard College titled: Between Power and Authority: Arendt on t...