Saturday, July 4, 2009

Day After Day

One of the truly delightful things about the Army is that I am not important as an individual. I am on my 4th day stuck in Kuwait. What overcommitted American worker could get paid for sitting and doing nothing for four days. And it looks like I will be here at least till Monday. I get paid the same for working or for doing nothing if my orders tell me to do nothing. And they do.

So I am sitting in a coffee shop writing about doing nothing and trying to decide what to do next. Should I read in my tent and then go to dinner? Should I go to dinner? Should I shoot a game of pool at the recreation tent before or after dinner? Decisions, decisions. I am going to bed early because I am going to get up at 3am and work out at the cardio gym. It's open 24 hours and beginning at 3am will have a live broadcast of the Daytona NASCAR race. My iPod is in Tallil so if I work out at any other time I will have to watch baseball, golf, or tennis. So I can watch the Daytona night race then clean up for Church, then come back at 11am and watch the Tour de France while I cross train on the elliptical.

3 comments:

  1. For July 4th, in your mom's memory, I will be enjoying one of her favorite foods. Potato salad. I'll also be doing a lot of other stuff, but thought I'd share the P.S. with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neil,
    Hurry up and wait! My Mom used to describe her WW II nursing experiences that way.
    You are bearing it well.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony Stewart won... I cannot stand that man, sorry! :-) I'm a Jeff Gordon girl through and through.

    ReplyDelete

Not So Supreme: A Conference about the Constitution, the Courts and Justice

Hannah Arendt At the end of the first week in March, I went to a conference at Bard College titled: Between Power and Authority: Arendt on t...