Monday, May 11, 2009

Sad Mother's Day in Iraq

In a sad coincidence of time zones, I was in Church in late morning yesterday listening to a Mothers Day sermon at about the same hour in which my mother-in-law Carol Jo Crannell passed away in her sleep in a hospice in Maryland. She had been ill for a long time, suffering from rapidly advancing Alzheimer's and some related complications. My wife had written me the day before about her care, but no one knew she was so close to the end of her life.

And that life was very impressive. My wife Annalisa is the oldest of three daughters of Carol Jo who, like their mom, have advanced degrees in science and math. Carol was a solar physicist at NASA Goddard, so I could truthfully say my mother-in-law is a rocket scientist. Her devoted husband Hall Crannell is an emeritus professor of physics at Catholic University. His field was particle physics, so between their two parents, the Crannell girls grew up meeting people who studied the largest and smallest spheres in the universe.

My son Nigel was just three when my mother passed away so Nana was the only grandmother he knew well. Carol doted on Nigel when they were together. In one of the happy side effects of the disease Carol suffered with, her loss of short-term memory meant she could happily watch Nigel play with his trains or repeat a story again and again. Carol was never bored with the repetitions of little children.

I may or may not be able to go home for emergency leave because in-laws are not quite immediate family, but my unit is doing their best to make it possible. Annalisa in her always practical way said if coming home for Carol's memorial service would cause me to miss my scheduled leave, I should stay here. That is the best plan.

I will let you know how things go.

8 comments:

  1. my condolences to annalisa and you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your mother-in-law. She sounds like one remarkable lady! It was women like her that opened the door for so many women who came afterward who wanted a career that wasn't teaching or secretarial work. Kudos and many thanks to women like Carol Jo Crannell for making the world bigger for the women who followed her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all. She was a very strong and talented woman who made her wolrd better in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mr. Gussman,
    I was directed to this post on your blog by my mother, and I am quite saddened to hear the news about Carol Jo. When I was a scout about a dozen years ago, she taught me how to canoe. She was a remarkable woman, to say the least. Please pass along to your family how sorry I am for your loss. My best to all of you,
    Erica Fenstermacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please know that Carol Jo influenced the lives of many Girl Scouts in the Girl Scout Council of the Nation's Capital. I am one of the Volunteer Trainers who trained with Carol at times. When we dealt with an issue of concern to the Girl Scout Leaders we trained, one of us would say, "This is not rocket science, but..." and jokingly note that however, Carol Jo was one! Always elicited laughs during the sessions. We will miss her.
    Sylvia Henderson

    ReplyDelete
  7. nEIL Gussman

    I am a former co-worker of Carol Jo's - took early retirement from Goddard and now teach at Penn State. Have not lived in Maryland full time since 2004... I see we have things in common (my uncle and family "Veronis" are in Lancaster).
    I lectured to the Enivronmental program at F&M in November, hoping to recruit grad students for Geosciences at PSU.
    you can find more than you wish to know at anne thompson ozone

    But it was just now, reading Goddard retirees news that I learned of Carol Jo's passing. She befriended me in Bldg 21 when I joined in the mid-80's, i went to a few events - a Colloquium dinner one time at Mrs K's - and she was just totally tops in every way. I send condolences.

    I too was raised by parents with science degrees and loaded with altruism. I admired Carol Jo and evidently you are one to admire.

    Anne M Thompson

    ReplyDelete

Advocating for Ukraine in Washington DC, Part 1

  Yesterday and Today I joined hundreds of advocates for Ukraine to advocate for funding to support the fight against the Russian invasion i...