Thursday, September 11, 2008

Who's Reading Blogs?

When I first created this blog, it was a simply to give friends and family updates on the weird stuff that happens to a 55-year-old guy who re-enlists in the Army. All of my family and many of my friends live in the eastern half of the US. Add in Belgium, France, Germany, Singapore and the UK and you have got most all of my friends locations.

A couple of months ago I added Site Meter to my blog just to see was looking at the blog. Since I don't get a lot comments I started to wonder if Meredith Gould, my sister, and Burt Friggin' Hoovis were my main reader base. I checked site meter when I woke this morning the first four locations that came up were
Adelaide, Australia
Jakarta Indonesia
Wurzburg, Germany
Taipei, Taiwan
The next 20 on the list were from the US, but mostly form the West Coast. On top of that, a couple of days ago 80 people visited my blog.
It got me wondering 'Who are these people?' But I guess America is nothing if it is not a nation of odd characters. I don't suppose there are any 50-year-old bloggers in the Russian or Iranian armies. Actually, I doubt there are any bloggers at all.

15 comments:

  1. Yeah I'm your main reader base. You gotta problem w/that?!? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi neil, i'm a follower now too! - peck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Neil, Greetings from New Zealand. Nice blog and I look forward to following your re-enlistment exploits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Neil,
    Greeting from Austell, Ga., USA.
    From one who is old enough to know better but What The Hell lets try it anyway. You never know.

    Enjoy reading how you are acheiving what many would tell you that you are crazy to be doing it. You are now in that "WTH" time of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Captain Hogwash (geoff)--I like your blog. It's on my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  6. miss em--thanks. Depending in the day, it's WTH and I go for it. Sometimes it doesn't turn out so well and it's "Oh Hell."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neil--I know the "oh Hell" times EVER SO PERSONALLY also AND all the aches and pains that go with them BUT it was ONE of those WTH times.

    LOL and Enjoy the WTH's!!!!

    Have as good a time as you can while you can!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, if you see one from Ky, that be me...

    ok, might be just aol-USA

    And I've been reading your's for quite some time. Plus I've seen you over at BT's... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ky woman--thanks for stopping. So how many kids do you have? My wife and I have four.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How about an old lady (78) from Ontario, Canada? My brother (now gone) was a WW2 veteran.His Canadien Regiment delivered France on the Normandy Beaches along side American soldiers. Thought that they were out of this world. He said, "Best equipment, great spirit, incredible courage!" I saw your blog on Captain Hogwash. My chance to follow an American soldier of today. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Claudia,
    My Dad served in WWII. He was a really old soldier for the time--he enlisted at 34 years old. He stayed in Pennsylvania for the entire war. He commanded a black company in 1943&44 then went to Fort Indiantown Gap, where my unit is based, then to Reading where he was commandant of an Afrika Korps prison camp. If he was still alive, he would be 102 years old.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  12. Neil,

    I've raised 5(4 boys/1 girl)all grown...
    I'm now blessed with 5 grandkids(one having adopted me as his Nana)

    They keep me running.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! Your father had a great military career. He would be proud of you.

    My brother would be 90. He volunteered in 1939 and spent 5 years overseas with his French Canadian Regiment. He was a Captain. He became a lawyer when he returned but stayed in the Army Reserve. When he died at 64, he was a Colonel. He didn't speak much about his life in the army. I wish I had asked him more questions. That's why I'm here. Different times but basically same thing: a life of service for one's country. It's so admirable! Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Not So Supreme: A Conference about the Constitution, the Courts and Justice

Hannah Arendt At the end of the first week in March, I went to a conference at Bard College titled: Between Power and Authority: Arendt on t...