Thursday, November 11, 2010

Iraq Bike Stolen on Veterans Day

Today I went to lunch with a friend in Center City Philadelphia.  I rode my bike to lunch.  Chained it to a u-shaped metal pipe for locking bikes and went to lunch.  When I came out from lunch the bike, my helmet and the lock were gone.

Which bike?  The one I bought for Iraq and rode for almost my whole tour--a red Trek T-1 single speed.  If you ride in Philly, bike theft is going to happen.  I'll miss that particular bike like an old friend because I rode it in Oklahoma for the train up and for almost the whole deployment--I broke the crank with a month to go on my tour, but Bike Line of Lancaster fixed it when I got back.

I don't suppose I'll ever see it again, and I do have other bikes.  But I really liked that bike and will always remember the looks I got from turret gunners in MRAPS and Humvees when the say me riding with my rifle on my back.

5 comments:

  1. How rude! We should send out a city wide search! That thing belongs in a museum or something one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Museum! You mean me or the bike? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about your bike, Neil. That's terrible. I do hope you're able to get it back. And thank you for your service!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only good thing I can say about the turd who stole your bike is...he will someday pay for his crimes...and when he gets to hell, he will rot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If our dad were still here, he would say "Those Rat Bastards". And I would agree.

    ReplyDelete

Persia Renamed Iran in 1935 By a Nazi-Admiring Shah

Reza Shah Pahlavi, Nazi devotee In 1935, Reza Shah, founder of the Pahlavi dynasty felt the winds of history blowing across the world. He wa...