Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Who We Fight For--Everybody

Everyone who deploys to Iraq and Afghanistan, or fights pirates off the coast of Somalia, or goes to any of the outposts of the War on Terror fights for all Americans. Even though I am a member of the Pennsylvania National Guard, I am a soldier in the Army of all America.

Sometimes, I admit, I wish it were otherwise. When I travel I pay more attention to the news than when I am home and the news during the last week has been sad for me. White people yelling the N-word at a congressman who fought for civil rights in the 60s, bricks thrown through windows of Democratic Party offices, a gas line cut at what was believed (mistakenly) to be a US Congressman’s home that could have killed kids, and on April 19 there will be a gun rights march on the anniversary of Timothy McVeigh killing kids in a Day Care Center and more than 150 other innocent victims. I don't want to defend those people.

But "those people" are Americans, so the American military stands for all of us whatever we believe. And I really do believe that America is all of us, not us and them. In many previous posts I wrote about soldiers I served with in Iraq under the collective title "Who Fights This War?" I will continue those stories when I go back to drilling and catch up with what my fellow soldiers are doing now.

In future posts I decided to also write about some of the people in my life that TEA Party activists, militia members, and right-wing talk show hosts call the enemy. They are people like me. People with graduate degrees who live and work in major cities, who read dead poets, who do all of the research that preserves our past and defines our future, and are dismissed by Conservative leaders as elitists as if six to twelve years of education after high school was a curse. Many of their listeners don’t know anyone with a PhD.

It is clear from email and comments I received in the last year, that some of the people who read my blog don’t know many soldiers. Since I have one foot in each world—the Army and the Academy—I will occasionally write about people in my everyday civilian life.

Just as with the soldiers I wrote about, the profiles are simply my view of people who have chosen to live the life of the mind whether in research or teaching or preserving history in the form of books, documents, art, and artifacts. I like to talk with people who excel. To me, an excellent marksmen, pilot, racer, point guard, goalkeeper, or runner has a kinship with the most inspiring teachers, brilliant writers, innovators and researchers.

I’ve mentioned before that all US military personnel taken together, Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, Active, Reserve, and National Guard add up to about two million men and women or about 2/3 of one percent of the population of America. Two million is also the number of people in America who have PhD degrees. Two of the most influential groups in America have very separate worlds. But in my experience, the best soldiers and the best researchers share a devotion and passion that people who just bitch and whine will never know. I admire people in both groups. I hope you will too.

4 comments:

  1. I admire people in all groups. But America has slowly divided itself into two groups. Liberals and Conservatives.

    I don't want to have to pick a side, nor try and explain to my kids and grand kids why there are two sides and that they will have to pick one sooner or later. But I have.

    America is in my opinion and the opinion of almost half of our Republic, is headed in the wrong direction.

    How it will turn out is now unknown. But battle lines are forming and things have happened in the last forty years that can't be changed without one half or the other being angry and unhappy.

    So, enjoy your seat on the fence while you can, because soon you will also have to pick a side.

    Even if you don't want to.

    Papa Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, brother. I've been active duty enlisted Army since 2003, have a graduate degree and like those dead poets too.

    It pains me how ensconced my right and left friends are in hatred for each other.

    Also, all of the militant rhetoric is a little unsettling. I hear "pick a side", "you'll be sorry" and "they can only push us so far" a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for writing this Guss! This is amazing and I appreciate your ability to put things into perspective! We, as soldiers, really do fight for everyone, not just the people who do things inline with our beliefs. Many of us fight, as our ancestor's did, for the rights of our fellow Americans to do things such as wave their signs in protest and march for the right to bear arms. Many days I wish everyone would be a little more accepting of other people and their choices, leaving the judgments to whatever power takes over when we leave this world. I look forward to reading your future posts, from the comfort of my home rather than the CHU in Iraq!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie--thanks, it was great to serve with you. I hope we get a chance to have a drink when one of us travels to the other coast.

    salemonz--Same for you. If you are ever in eastern Pennsylvania, maybe just passing through, let me know.

    Papa Ray--I am way on the left side of the fence. I admire people I served with whatever their political beliefs, but I have no place in a party built on an Us vs. Them mentality. My grandparents escaped Russia when the Cossacks killed a million Jews at the end of the 19th Century. They missed the Nazi death camps because America let them in. Now I have two adopted sons, both African-American. I still see America as offering hope to immigrants and equality of opportunity to its citizens. I serve because I owe this country a debt I can never repay.

    ReplyDelete

Persia Renamed Iran in 1935 By a Nazi-Admiring Shah

Reza Shah Pahlavi, Nazi devotee In 1935, Reza Shah, founder of the Pahlavi dynasty felt the winds of history blowing across the world. He wa...