Friday, December 4, 2009

Getting Ready to Go Home

In a week we will turn in a footlocker, a duffel bag and a rucksack (big backpack) to begin the process of loading them in containers for shipping home. On the same day I will be packing the Trek T-1 Single speed. I thought it was going to be a tough decision which bike to keep, but the right crank and chain ring worked loose from the shaft that connects the two cranks through the bottom bracket. I can't tighten it, Larry the bike guy is still on R&R leave, so I will box the bike up and send it back home for the Bike Line guys to fix.
The other bike I will probably sell cheap or maybe mail it back. Not sure yet. I would have sold the roadie bike, but I don't want to sell a damaged bike in a place where there are no shops.
I filled the footlocker this morning--mostly books and boots. I will fill a duffel bag next week before turn in. I will also mail a box or two home. I can bring a duffel bag and a half with me on the plane--we need half of one bag for the bulletproof vest and helmet.
In the afternoon and evening I was worn out with two really good interviews. I got to interview our brigade commander--the first woman to command a combat brigade in Iraq. Other women have commanded support brigades. She is the first to be the top officer in a combat aviation unit. In the evening I thought I was talking to a Blackhawk company commander about a routine part of his mission, but it turned out 1/3rd of his soldiers were here to support operations in the battle for Fallujah five years ago and the Armored Brigade commander here was a battalion commander in that battle. So the pilots and the ground commander were reiunited after five years. It shoudl be a good story.

6 comments:

  1. Sgt.Gussman this is good news.happy for you,and your family.not done yet,but dang near.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings and a safe journey home, Neil. I know your family is waiting anxiously. I hope you have a joyous reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gonna hate losing the commentary from the front but yipee and bless you and yours. Good and safe trip home and plenty of time to ease/relax into "regular" life. (and many happy trails to bike on)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sgt. Gussman: I would love to hear more about the female brigade commander...could you send me the story, or print it here? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Sgt. Thank yo for you service and sacrafice. Safe return!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brother Gussman: Well, I'm delighted for you and your family that you will be coming home, but I'm going to miss your blog. Will you start up a new blog, "Life in these United States"?

    ReplyDelete

Not So Supreme: A Conference about the Constitution, the Courts and Justice

Hannah Arendt At the end of the first week in March, I went to a conference at Bard College titled: Between Power and Authority: Arendt on t...