I could give several answers to the question:
- Since I am out of the Army next spring, I can actually race again without Army training eating up all the weekends at the peak of the race season in May and June.
- Jim Dao and Ethan Demme both want to do Half Ironman events next year. I could be interested in that.
- Next month is the 28-mile March for the Fallen--in uniform with a 35-pound Rucksack.
But here's the definite answer:
- Shoulder surgery, probably in January 2015.
- Dental implant next month.
- Tomorrow I will find out if I am getting a root canal or another dental implant.
- Three crowns.
All of the above are things I put off because I did not want to interrupt Ironman training.
So the answer to "What's next Neil?" is getting various parts of my body repaired from Ironman training, previous crashes and the wear and tear of living more than 23,000 days.
Another dimension of "What's next?" is what I am doing now that I work two days a week and go to Philadelphia just once a week. Ten years ago when I worked as a consultant, I took a course at F&M College each semester: French, five courses in Ancient Greek, two each in Organic Chemistry and Physics.
This semester I signed up for Russian 101. Hearing that I did this, one of my running buddies (who is multi-lingual) said, "Language is not like the Ironman. There is always more to learn. There is no finish line."
Tough Mudder vs. Ironman, Part 3
Tough Mudder vs. Ironman, Part 2
Tough Mudder vs. Ironman is Here
Second Tough Mudder Report
First Tough Mudder Finish
First Tough Mudder Photos
First Tough Mudder Entry
Ironman Bucket List