Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Book Groups

Tonight it occurred to me (I don't know why it took so long.) that the book groups here are almost done. Depending on when we leave we will meet just two or three more times then I will be either on the way home or caught in something I can't get out of. It also occurred to me that I have not missed a meeting since the groups started. I really wanted them to continue and I managed to keep from flying anywhere or doing anything that would keep me from the book groups. I think we will finish both Purgatorio and the Screwtape Letters or get very close before we are wheels up and on the way home.

This year was supposed to be a year I would do more reading, but it was less. By the time I started doing the weekly newsletter I was already overcommitted. When the newsletter began I was buried. If it weren't for the book groups I would not be reading much of anything. Although I am still dawdling along in Les Trois Mousquetaires. If we get stuck in Kuwait, I should finish it. I read a very old simplified edition in Fort Sill. This one is newer, easier and flatter than the 70-year-old one. The ardent love of The Duke of Buckingham for Anne of Austria is very subdued in this one--as is the confrontation between the Musketeers and the Cardinal's men, the key scenes of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

America First: Allies Last

  Scene from The Blitz--the bombing of London by the Nazis On September 4, 1940, American Nazis led by Charles Lindbergh and Henry Ford form...