Monday, November 10, 2008

"Limited to one-arm activity. . ."

Just before the surgery I asked my doctor for a letter to send to my unit because I was (am) scheduled for three weeks of training beginning two days after the surgery. The unit wanted me to observe training if I could, even if I could not participate. So the doctor wrote a letter stating that my full recovery should be the primary goal and I would be wearing a sling for six weeks, but he thought after two weeks I "should be able to ride to the field in a truck." But he made clear: "He will be limited to one arm activity for the first six weeks." I faxed the letter to the unit operations sergeant pointing. He read the letter while I was on the phone and burst out laughing at that restriction. When I do go back to duty I am sure somebody is going to making loud suggestions as to what activities I can do with one arm--and how they will prepare me for next year.

5 comments:

  1. hahahaha! I'm not in the military, and I cracked up when I read that, LOL! Yep, you are gonna have an interesting next few months, LOL.

    hope you are healing well. I just had knee surgery 2 months ago, so I kinda-sorta can relate. Hey, you may be restricted to just one arm, but at least you can WALK! It's a huge PITA when you can't even walk! LOL

    In all seriousness, our prayers are with you! Hang in there (but only with that one good arm, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. forgot to ask... does this mean they are gonna make you do one-armed pushups?? Or should I shut up before I give anyone ideas??? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least he didn't say one-handed activities, I never would have lived that one down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Boy I needed that laugh today, LOL! you do have a point there, LOL!

    BTW - happy veterans' day, and thank you sincerely for your service.

    ReplyDelete

Not So Supreme: A Conference about the Constitution, the Courts and Justice

Hannah Arendt At the end of the first week in March, I went to a conference at Bard College titled: Between Power and Authority: Arendt on t...